9 Pillars of Character
We practice virtuous living using the 9 Pillars of Character which include responsibility, respect, perseverance, integrity, honesty, courage, citizenship, cooperation, and excellence:
- Responsibility – We accept obligations related to our own good and the good of others, and we act on those obligations in a manner suitable to their timely and satisfactory fulfillment. We are willingly accountable for what we do and say, and we seek to learn from our mistakes.
- Respect – We regard others and ourselves as deserving of kind and just treatment. Our conduct is considerate and polite. We look for the good in others and demonstrate compassion. Our attitudes toward others and their property reflect the way we wish to be treated.
- Perseverance – We spurn despair and strive to complete tasks to the best of our abilities, regardless of the difficulty. We respond creatively to overcome obstacles and ask for help when necessary.
- Integrity – We are individuals of strong ethical values, who make consistently good choices in keeping with our knowledge of right and wrong. We seek the wisdom of others in cases of moral uncertainty.
- Honesty – We never knowingly induce another to believe what is false. We are always truthful in what we say and do, regardless of the circumstances or consequences.
- Courage – We always do what we know to be right despite fear, hardship, and opposition. We resist negative peer pressure, defend our rights and the rights of others, and encourage others to do the same.
- Citizenship – We honor rules and laws and respond to authority in obedience. We give of our time and abilities to serve others. We uphold liberty and social equality through respect for individual differences and knowledge of our democratic system.
- Cooperation – We work with others for the good of all involved with a positive attitude.
- Excellence – We seek to raise the standard for ourselves to that which surpasses the ordinary. Because we understand that excellence is not an act but a habit, we strive to practice it consistently so that we might grow to be prosperous and fulfilled.